Friday, June 22, 2012

The Emotional Ties of Just Being a Writer

Today, I did something extraordinary. Amazing. I still haven't fully recovered from the feat. My heart pounded, my breath became heavy, and I lost all awareness of where I was, who I was, what I was actually doing. I was just in the moment, noisily tapping my fingers over the keyboard. What I wrote was important. I know later, probably next month when I edit it, I'm gonna go back over it and say God that was horrible. But right now, I don't care. Like Caspian, I didn't care. Right then, and right now, I just want to say how absolutely wonderful writing their first real kiss was.

There is such an amazing thing about writing. Some people, I know, write for others. To impress, to have something to brag about, maybe for money. Then there are the others, like me, who just write for the joy of being able to jot down a few glorious words down on paper, or, in my case, in a vastly large Word Doc.

Over the time period of two years (not a lot, I realize), I have learned much about writing, but one of the most important things is how just putting out a few words can affect you. You can think it all you want, even say it out loud, but until it's written, maybe in a little private place in your diary where you think no one else in the world could care about, it affects you. They can make you laugh, or cry. They can make you feel like you're there, like you're real, even though you're sure they just came from your imagination. Well, I got something to tell you. Your imagination isn't just your imagination. It's a whole other world, waiting for you to dive in and feel the welcoming embrace that comes with accepting your gift.

Then, before you know it, what was originally those few words written in a small notebook tucked under your desk during Geometry suddenly becomes a book. Something that gives you multiple feelings instead of just one. Imagination gave you a story that only you can tell. It wants it out there, in the word, changing people's lives and doing amazing things. But the truth is, it's going to affect you a million time more than it'll ever affect someone out there reading it. When you write, you put a part of you in there, for everyone to see. That crazy and insane emotion that came when you wrote a certain scene? You put it into the story, and it's for everyone else to feel andexperience. Maybe not in the same and exact way you did, but in a similar way. And let me tell you, it feels incredible.

Really, I have no idea why I had to post this. I think it was what I wrote. The emotion overwhelmed me, and I had to plug some of it somehwere else so it'd even out. I don't care if no one even reads this post. I just know this is out there as soon as I hit 'publish' and you're missing out if you don't read it.

Cass

No comments: